Gene Ovnicek is nationally and internationally recognized as a farrier, clinician and researcher. A pioneer in the study of wild horse hoof form and function, Gene has combined his 40 years of farrier experience with the information from other scientific research as a foundation for treating and preventing equine lameness.
Gene is currently involved with ongoing research with Dr. Robert Bowker of Michigan State University and Dr. Barbara Page of the Equine Wellness Foundation.
The ever evolving Natural Balance® information packed presentations have been featured at some of the most prestigious farrier and veterinarian conferences in the world. In addition to the research projects, teaching and his position as President and Chief Technician of Equine Digit Support System, Inc., Gene still operates a complete farrier practice ranging from performance horses to lameness management and consultation.
Gene Ovnicek and the Natural Balance® information have been published in the American Farrier's Journal (AFJ), Anvil Magazine, TrailBlazer magazine, Horse Illustrated, Western Horseman, the European Farrier's Journal, EQUUS and several associated press articles. He has published chapters in major hoof care text books such as "Adams Lameness in Horses", "Diagnosis and Management of Lameness in the Horse", and "The Veterinary Clinics of North America".
As a clinician, Gene has been invited to share this information with a wide range of groups and activities.
- 1994 and 2003 Bluegrass Laminitis Symposium
- 1995 American Association of Equine Practitioners Convention
- 1997 Guild of Professional Farriers Convention
- 1998 Colorado Veterinary Medical Association Conference
- 1999 Wyoming Veterinary Medical Association Conference
- Annual Colorado State University C.E. Courses for Veterinarians and Farriers
- Annual University of California at Davis C.E. Courses for Veterinarians and Farriers
- 1998 Heumphreus Memorial Conference at University of California at Davis
- Regular TFP Sponsored Farrier/Vet Conferences in England
- 1998 and 2002 Ashbrook Farrier/Vet Conference in the UK
- 1999 - 11th Congress for Farriers and Vets of France
- 1999 - Various Sponsored Farrier/Vet Conferences in Australia
- 1999 and 2000 - Venezuela Laminitis Symposium
- 1997 and 2000 - Annual Rochester Lameness Conference
- 2001 Meeting of the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- 2001 Meeting of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- 2002 American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association Conference
- 1998-2005 Annual Soundness Festival Clinician
- 2004 "Shoeing for Balance" Conference in the UK
- 2005 and 2006 2nd and 3rd Annual International Hoof Care Summit
- 2005 - 9th Congress of Equine Medicine and Surgery, Geneva, Switzerland
Some of the wild horse research material, as well as the Natural Balance® guidelines are published in the book, "New Hope for Soundness" and on his www.hopeforsoundness.com website.
highly recommend his "Natural Balance® Hoof Trimming" video - it has
great information on hoof mapping and ensuring that correct hoof balance
Return from Gene Ovnicek to Natural Hoofcare
Did this page help you?
Please consider making a donation to help me keep this site going -
donations over $10 get a free ANHC ebook ($17.99 value)